Pentaho 3.6 with MySQL, PostgreSQL & Oracle.

Posted under BI Server, Open Source, Pentaho, Tutorials

Updated 16/06/2010

This guide has been tested and works with the latest version of Pentaho BI Server 3.6.

Updated 28/02/2010

This guide has been tested and works with the latest version of Pentaho BI Server 3.5.2.

Updated 09/02/2010

All the guides have been updated as well as the MySQL and PostgreSQL SQL Packs. I have made a bunch of fixes to grammatical and spelling errors (ouch!), cleaned up the layout and process flow, extended the Java and Tomcat-Apache sections and added SMTP and Publishing sections (all changes are listed on the front page of each guide).

Last year I created a tutorial on how to install Pentaho Business Intelligence Server 2.0 with MySQL on Linux and the response was overwhelming with the amount of people who found the tutorial helpful.

I have taken the suggestions and feedback and have updated the tutorial for 3.5 and added PostgreSQL 8+ and Oracle 10g (XE and 11g) to the list, all the tutorials are split up for Windows and Linux operating systems.

Can’t wait? Head over to the Pentaho project page and start downloading!

Posted by Prashant Raju on Jun 16, 2010 — 71 CommentsShare

71 Comments for “Pentaho 3.6 with MySQL, PostgreSQL & Oracle.”

1. Posted by Roland Bouman on Jan 8, 2010

Cool! thanks, and great to see you blogging again. Keep it up!!

regards,
    Roland

2. Posted by marcos on Jan 8, 2010

Hi Prashant,

I’m currently working through the Pentaho Solutions book which contains a link to your website in order to obtain the sample MySQL scripts. I keep getting 404 errors with all the script download links. For example:

Thank you for your help!

Marcos

3. Posted by Robert on Jan 10, 2010

Really nice guide, I’d pay money for this.

4. Posted by Prashant Raju on Jan 10, 2010

@marcos,

I no longer support that guide however you can get the new 3.5 tutorial and necessary SQL scripts from the Pentaho Tutorials project page.

Peace.

5. Posted by Midhun on Jan 10, 2010

Prasanth,

When I try to download the updated Installation guide for Pentaho 3.5 on linux it is throwing 404 error .

Please help .

Thanks

6. Posted by Midhun on Jan 10, 2010

Am sorry It worked .Thanks a lot.

7. Posted by Prashant Raju on Jan 10, 2010

@mohan,

The Oracle and Linux Sample SQL Script link was broken. Just fixed it.

Peace.

8. Posted by simm13 on Jan 11, 2010

hi,Prashant,
    in ur pdf,why not use start-pentaho to start the BI server?
    I try to do everything in ur pdf,but the bi serv does not work,what can i do then?

9. Posted by Prashant Raju on Jan 11, 2010

@simm13,

I would need some more information about your error i.e. What is your setup and what’s the error you are getting?

Prashant.

10. Posted by simm13 on Jan 11, 2010

hi,Prashant,
    i do this work on winxp and oracle10g
    the problem is: after i started the tomcat5 service and visit http://localhost:8080/pentaho
    there is a long time waiting but finally got a 404 erro on the web, and there is not any loging file to located the erro,plz help me,thanks!

11. Posted by Prashant Raju on Jan 11, 2010

@simm13,

What happens when you go to http://localhost:8080/pentaho – do you get the Tomcat welcome screen? If not it looks like Tomcat hasn’t started up or it is setup to start on a different port.

Are there no logs under the biserver-ce/pentaho/tomcat/logs/ folder?

If you wish you can send me an email and we can discuss it that way rather than sending comments back and forth.

Prashant.

12. Posted by simm13 on Jan 13, 2010

i finally resolved the problem:
    i find the jdbc driver file ojdbc14.jar for Oracle Database 10g 10.1.0.5 JDBC Drivers and placed it in the tomcat\common\lib folder
    then restarted the tomcat service, it works well.the Whole problem is the bug for the jdbc driver.
    if the oracle version is 10.1.0.2.0 and jdbc driver file is for 10.1.0.2.0,it will generate the problem which i Encountered.but i found in your guide the oracle version is 10.2.0.4, probablly,itdoesnt have any problem.

13. Posted by Prashant Raju on Jan 13, 2010

Good work simm13!

I have updated the Oracle guides to take this into account.

Prashant.

14. Posted by vaibhav on Jan 13, 2010

Hi Raju,

Thanks for the work,

well, how to configure MSSQL server for pentaho report publishing. I could publish mondrian reports but could not publish MSSQL reports. Could you please give me some steps to do it ?

Thanks
    Vaibhav Kumar

15. Posted by Prashant Raju on Jan 13, 2010

@Vaibhav,

Are talking about setting up the BI Server (3.5) on MSSQL?
    or
    Publising reports from PRD 3.5 to the BI Server (3.5) which is sitting on MSSQL?

Regards,
    Prashant

16. Posted by Rinaldo Bonazzo on Jan 14, 2010

Hi Prashant I try your tutorial, I find a problem in the database hibernate in table datasource the he gave the following error
    No suitable driver found for jdbc:mysql:mysql://localhost:3306/sampledata
    I made the follwoing query as suggested in (http://osbi.nl/2009/09/how-to-install-configure-pentaho-bi-server-3-5-on-ubuntu/)
    UPDATE DATASOURCE SET DRIVERCLASS = ‘com.mysql.jdbc.Driver’, URL = ‘jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/sampledata’ , QUERY = ‘SELECT 1′ WHERE NAME = ‘SampleData’
    and now all is ok

regards Rinaldo

17. Posted by Prashant Raju on Jan 14, 2010

@Rinaldo,

I worked out the error it was in the MySQL SQL Script pack. I had the line:
    jdbc:mysql:mysql://localhost:3306/sampledata
    It should of been this:
    jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/sampledata

I have fixed the pack and uploaded the newest version.

Thanks for the heads up!
    Prashant.

18. Posted by Corn3r on Jan 23, 2010

Really useful & easy to understand work Prashant!

Thanks!

19. Posted by Benjamin on Jan 26, 2010

Hi,

I have been working with your guide for Pentaho 3.5 & Postgres. I was running into an error with quartz.

Here is the error description and the resolution: http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/BISERVER-2251 , you might want to add or mention this in your guide.

Thanks!

20. Posted by Benjamin on Jan 26, 2010

Hi,

I just found another error, this time in the file “create_sample_datasource_postgresql.sql”.

it should say jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/sampledata

instead of
    jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/hibernate

21. Posted by Prashant Raju on Jan 26, 2010

@Benjamin

I have updated the SQL script pack for postgresql.sql and also added the quartz.properties fix in both the Windows and Linux PostgreSQL guides.

Thanks for pointing it out!

Prashant.

22. Posted by Rodrigo Berto on Mar 1, 2010

Hi,

Congratulations for this article, it is very easy and best of all it works…

Rodrigo Berto
    Sysadmin, SP , Brazil

23. Posted by Guillermo Galindo on Apr 6, 2010

Hi, i finish the tutorial but, what is the user/pass to access to user console?, thanks

24. Posted by Prashant Raju on Apr 6, 2010

@Guillermo,

There should be a drop down list of users which populate the userid and password fields i.e. joe/password. If you are talking about the administration console admin/password will work (which is also mentioned in the guide).

Prashant.

25. Posted by Bernabeu R. Dario on Jun 6, 2010

Excelente material, gracias por compartirlo!

Fijate en el tutorial de GNU/Linux & PostgreSQL, en la sección “Configuring Hibernate and Quartz” -> “quartz.properties”.

El archivo “quartz.properties” se encuentra en /pentaho-solutions/system/quartz

Saludos.
    Dario

26. Posted by Paco Barrera on Jun 25, 2010

Hi Prashant,

when you say to simm13 that
    “I don’t use the start-pentaho.bat or start-pentaho.sh file as these are for the out-of-box install which is setup for HSQLDB – you edit these to work with your setup though (not hard).”

can you guide us to what simple modifications are needed?
    I try it, but always appears a message in Tomcat manager indicating that Pentaho causes a memory leak.

Another question, is that if I use an existing Tomcat server, all this scripts start the Tomcat that comes whith Pentaho, isn’t it?

Thanks in advance.

27. Posted by IVARS on Jun 26, 2010

FABULOUS,

You make an absolutely FABULOUS Work,
    THANK a lot, Your tutorials and the add of view screen are an example. THANK a lot for all you give to us.

BEST REGARDS
    Alain IVARS

28. Posted by Prashant Raju on Jun 26, 2010

@IVARS

Thanks mate!

29. Posted by Michel on Jun 28, 2010

Thanks a lot for the manual!

I had one problem when installing as described.

Turned out the location of the “mysql-connector-java-5.0.7.jar” should be in the “Classpath” otherwise it won’t startup and you will get “connection refused” in the pentaho.log and/or tomcat logs.

Maybe you should add it to the manual?

Thanks!
    Michel

30. Posted by Prashant Raju on Jun 28, 2010

@Michel

What is your setup? I haven’t had an issue with the CLASSPATH on a fresh setup.

Thanks
    Prashant

31. Posted by Prashant Raju on Jun 28, 2010

@Paco

Can you pastie the Tomcat error?

If you are using an existing Tomcat setup then you can start Tomcat via Services in Windows and /tomcat/bin/startup.sh in Linux.

Prashant

32. Posted by Prashant Raju on Jun 28, 2010

@Bernabeu

Sorry mate don’t speak Spanish … I think it is Spanish :)

Prashant

33. Posted by Nicolas Raoul on Jul 12, 2010

Thanks a lot Prashant!

The guide for Linux MySQL says to download pentaho-ce-3.6.x.stable.tar.gz
    Should not that be biserver-ce-3.6.x-stable.tar.gz ?
    If I understood well, that’s the new name for this package. Can you confirm? Thanks!

34. Posted by Nicolas Raoul on Jul 12, 2010

Very minor inconsistency:
    source 5_sample_data_mysql.sql;
    should probably read:
    source 5_sampledata_mysql.sql;

I just finished the steps described in your document, and launched Pentaho, it works great :-)

35. Posted by harteni on Aug 2, 2010

Dear Mr.Raju,

I just start using pentaho with zero knowledge. i’m stuck,i already follow all the step but have a problem in the mysql part and after i run the tomcat it doesn’t display the login page.. can you help me.

36. Posted by Ray DiGiacomo, Jr. on Aug 31, 2010

Hi Prashant,

Great job on the mySQL guide! It is very helpful.

I think I may have found an error though. On page 18, I think the path for the email_config file is wrong.

- Ray

37. Posted by Ray DiGiacomo, Jr. on Sep 1, 2010

Hi Prashant,

I could not start tomcat after installing it for the first time and found out a fix that I would like to share with your community:

copy msvcr71.dll from the bin directory of the java installation to the bin directory of the tomcat installation. Works for Vista.

- Ray

38. Posted by aratron on Sep 9, 2010

Hello Prashant,

thanks for your great work that helped a lot.

I haven’t had the time to read all posts here so maybe someone pointed that out already. In the linux/oracle installation guide there’s minor inconsistency in “Load the SQL scripts”. The file names should start with 1_, 2_ and 3_.

Regards

39. Posted by Prashant Raju on Sep 9, 2010

aratron

Thanks for that. Fixed!

Prashant

40. Posted by Chris Tranter on Sep 16, 2010

I am seeing an issue running Pentaho 3.6 where jboss.exe consumes more memory with each transaction, but then once I log off and no transactions are running it seems to hold onto the memory until the service is restarted. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

41. Posted by Mat on Sep 20, 2010

Hello Prashant,

Thanks for you guide, is very usefull!

I’m having a problem downloading the “SQL Pack” for Mysql on the page “http://www.prashantraju.com/projects/pentaho/”
    It opens the google doc page:
    “https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9Jmocc0fj_EN2MyZjc4ZjEtNzFkNC00NzIzLTljZTctZjIzZWQ1NjU3MzJk&hl=en” which is empty. I’ve tried to download the link from the pentaho guide page but didn’t work either.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Mat

42. Posted by Prashant Raju on Sep 20, 2010

Hi Mat,

I just tested the links and don’t seem to have any issues. Are you still having issues?

Prashant

43. Posted by Mat on Sep 21, 2010

Hello Prashant,

I’m still getting the white Google doc page.
    I’ve made a small video to illustrate my problem
    https://www.yousendit.com/download/ UFVwQndEQzdYSHl4dnc9PQ
    Hope it help :)

Thanks

Mat

44. Posted by Prashant Raju on Sep 21, 2010

Nat,

Just for you I have setup an alternative link to grab the sql script packs :)

Prashant

45. Posted by Mat on Sep 22, 2010

Hello Prashant,

Your link worked perfectly!
    Thanks again for your script.

Imad

46. Posted by harshin.k on Oct 20, 2010

hello prashant,

i want to know how to install pentaho on windows system

47. Posted by harshin.k on Oct 20, 2010

hello prashant,
    i want know how to install pentaho on windows system

48. Posted by Nilesh Patil on Oct 22, 2010

I’m trying to configure pentaho to use oracle 10g as the beck end server using thin driver. During startup the following error occurs: ORA-01400: cannot insert NULL into (“HIBUSER”.”PRO_FILES”.”DIRECTORY”).
    Just for testing I disabled the NOT NULL constraint. But now I’m, getting the error: ORA-03106: fatal two-task communication protocol error!

49. Posted by Niveleau on Oct 22, 2010

Comment préfixer automatiquement le nom des tables avec le nom du
    schéma Oracle dans SQL Query Designer (Penthao Report Designer 3.6) ,
    en effet si l’utilisateur de connexion à la base de données n’est pas
    le propriétaire du schéma , l’exécution des requêtes provoque une
    erreur :

java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00942: Table ou vue inexistante

pour la connexion j’utilise le connecteur jdbc Oracle .

tank you

50. Posted by Team Roster on Oct 30, 2010

Best you should change the page title Pentaho 3.6 with MySQL, PostgreSQL & Oracle Tutorials – Analyse This to more catching for your webpage you create. I liked the post all the same.

51. Posted by Rob on Nov 15, 2010

I went through your tutorial and I get an error.

One or more system listeners failed. These are set in the systemListeners.xml.
    PentahoSystem.ERROR_0014 – Error while trying to execute startup sequence for org.pentaho.platform.scheduler.QuartzSystemListener

The first line of pentaho.log

2010-11-14 11:31:09,008 ERROR [org.pentaho.platform.util.logging.Logger] misc-org.pentaho.platform.scheduler.QuartzSystemListener: QuartzSystemListener.ERROR_0001 – Scheduler was not properly initialized at startup
    org.quartz.SchedulerConfigException: Failure occured during job recovery. [See nested exception: org.quartz.JobPersistenceException: Failed to obtain DB connection from data source 'myDS': java.sql.SQLException: Could not retrieve datasource via JNDI url 'java:comp/env/jdbc/Quartz' org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (Access denied for user 'pentaho_user'@'localhost' to database '/quartz') [See nested exception: java.sql.SQLException: Could not retrieve datasource via JNDI url 'java:comp/env/jdbc/Quartz' org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (Access denied for user 'pentaho_user'@'localhost' to database '/quartz')]]

I tested the MySQL connection to quartz at the command line and I am good.

I looked at the discussion in the Pentaho Wiki help pages and I do not understand them very well. Some people there just like to toss out half baked ideas or links that do not explain things well.

I double and triple checked the edits to the configuration files as per your guide,

What am I missing?

My environment is Mac OS 10.5.8 fully patched. Pentaho BI Server 3.6.

52. Posted by Kari on Nov 20, 2010

Hi,

I found a problem in the 1_create_repository_ora.sql file. After each table creation script there should be ‘;’. Now that is only after datasource table.

Kari

53. Posted by omar on Feb 24, 2011

hi prasahnt,
    is there an issur with Informix DB ?

friendly

54. Posted by omar on Feb 24, 2011

hi prasahnt,
    is there an issue with Informix DB ?

friendly

55. Posted by Mirko on Mar 8, 2011

Hi prashant,
    I’ve followed your guide (very good guide i think) but i have a problem.
    When i go on localhost:8080/pentaho i see a message:
    The following errors were detected
    [it_49] One or more system listeners failed. These are set in the systemListeners.xml.

The log says:
    org.quartz.SchedulerConfigException: Failure occured during job recovery. [See nested exception: org.quartz.JobPersistenceException: Failed to obtain DB connection from data source 'myDS': java.sql.SQLException: Could not retrieve datasource via JNDI url 'java:comp/env/jdbc/Quartz' org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (socket creation error) [See nested exception: java.sql.SQLException: Could not retrieve datasource via JNDI url 'java:comp/env/jdbc/Quartz' org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (socket creation error)]]
    and so on.
    Can you help me?
    Thanks in advance

56. Posted by Ashish S. on Mar 18, 2011

Hi Prashant,

I am using Pentaho 3.7 on Windows XP with Oracle XE. I get the following error while running the load sample users script:
    SQL> @3_load_sample_users_ora
    Connected.
    INSERT INTO USERS (username, password, enabled) VALUES(‘joe’,'cGFzc3dvcmQ=’,1)
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

……

I checked and the error seems to lie in the fact that 1_create_repository_ora.sql has missing semi-colon after CREATE TABLE terminating brackets..
    Sharing.. just in case :P

57. Posted by p1005 on Mar 26, 2011

hello,
    If I have a look at pentaho.log:
    .. Failed to obtain DB connection from data source ‘myDS’: java.sql.SQLException: There is no DataSource named ‘myDS’…

This message appears when HSQL database startup is disabled in tomcat/webapps/pentaho/WEB-INF/web.xml

Make changes in /opt/pentaho/biserver-ce/tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost/pentaho.xml to have exactly the same than tomcat/webapps/pentaho/META_INF/context.xml

Don’t make change in quartz.properties especially:
    org.quartz.jobStore.dataSource = myDS

org.quartz.dataSource.myDS.jndiURL = Quartz

Next you could have another error in pentaho.log:
    ERROR [org.pentaho.platform.util.logging.Logger] misc-org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.connection.datasource.dbcp.PooledDatasourceSystemListener: PooledDatasourceSystemListener.ERROR_0003 – Unable to pool datasource object: SampleData caused by java.sql.SQLException: socket creation error
    It seems it can’t find SampleData
    make changes in tomcat/webapps/pentaho/META_INF/context.xml, adding the following lines:

make changes in tomcat/webapps/pentaho/WEB-INF/web.xml adding the following lines at the end of the file:

SampleData Connection
    jdbc/SampleData
    javax.sql.DataSource
    Container

Restart the server

Thanks to Prashant for his ressources
    Marc

58. Posted by Esfandiar Amirrahimi on Mar 28, 2011

Excellent tutorial, excellent material and very helpful by a generous man! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

59. Posted by Tobias on Apr 17, 2011

Hi!

First, thanks for this great guide and the SQL scripts!

But unfortunately I am getting the same error as Mirko and Rob when trying to set up Pentaho with MySQL.

Any ideas what is going wrong?

Thanks,
    Tobias

60. Posted by Tobias on Apr 17, 2011

Ok, I got it working now. You also have to change the data source settings in the file “biserver-ce/tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost/pentaho.xml” (same as file “\tomcat\webapps\pentaho\META-INF\context.xml”).

61. Posted by Farouk TANGAO on May 15, 2011

I had the same problem as Tobias. Now it Works !
    I also changed the pentaho.xml file.

62. Posted by Dinesh on May 24, 2011

Dear Raju,

I am using Pentaho 3.8 on Windows XP with Oracle XE. Creating report in PRD is OK and is running fine. When I publish the report it says ‘published successfully’ but when launched an error comes ‘Validation failed’ insted of the report output. What could be the reason ? Please help.

Thanks in advance

-Dinesh

63. Posted by Guido on May 31, 2011

Great job Prashant, your guide helped me a lot. However, I also ran into the problem with systemListeners:

The following errors were detected
    One or more system listeners failed. These are set in the pentaho.xml under the node .

It is solved now though, thanks to the post by Tobias dd April 17th. Thanks! It is working now :)

64. Posted by Caio Moreno de Souza on Jun 8, 2011

Hey guys,

I solved the “quartz” problem just removing the folders below:

rm -rf tomcat/work

rm -rf tomcat/temp

rm -rf tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost

Error log:

* Nested Exception (Underlying Cause) —————
    java.sql.SQLException: Could not retrieve datasource via JNDI url ‘java:comp/env/jdbc/Quartz’ org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (socket creation error)

You can also change the pentaho.xml file at /tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost

Best Regards,

Caio Moreno de Souza
    Sao Paulo, Brazil

65. Posted by auraham on Jun 30, 2011

Hi Prashant!

I like your tutorial, but i new in pentaho and tomcat…

I was read your update (pentaho, mysql & linux), but sometimes i dont understand the path directories :s

Finally, I get this error

The following errors were detected
    One or more system listeners failed. These are set in the systemListeners.xml.

Please see the server console for more details on each error detected.

Thanks a lot!

66. Posted by Uilian on Nov 6, 2011

You don´t need to edit the file “biserver-ce/tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost/pentaho.xml”, just remove the folder “biserver-ce/tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost/” before starting the server, it will be created again.

[]´s
    Uilian.

67. Posted by edejuan on Nov 25, 2011

Hello All,

First of all thanks to Prashant, the author, for produced the definitive guide to get pentaho up and running quickly.

I followed all the steps but I reached a point I am not able to go through.

I am able to log in and connect to the Administration console, but I don’t know why the reports are not displayed in the browser. I only see the root folder trying to load content (“loading” on the screen)

I go into my database and saw that the “pro_files” tables is empty and should show content. I tried to restore the repository, drop the pro_files table and restart, recreate the db schemas, but nothing seems to work. Basically, my file system and the db are not syncing.

Information from my system.

- Windows server 2008
    - CE 3.7
    - MysQL 5.5
    - JDBC security
    - Repository set as database

Ring a bell for someone this problem?

thanks!!

68. Posted by Nilesh on Dec 1, 2011

Hi,
    I have to create bar chart using mySql and given pentaho scripts.
    but i cant bind my database to bi server.
    and i am doing it by code not by UI. By UI its working fine but while doing with the given MetaLayerChart.js and template.html file i cant bind DB from mySql.
    So can anyone help me to bind this DB through given code.

69. Posted by sinofool on Dec 6, 2011

Thanks for the guide.
    And thanks to Farouk, changing tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost/pentaho.xml solves my problem like Tobias’s.

70. Posted by Andrei on Mar 1, 2012

I encountered the same problems as Mirko, Rob and Tobias when I upgraded from 3.8 to 3.10 (BI Suite 4.0).

I solved it editing the file “pentaho-solutions/system/simple-jndi/jdbc.properties”. After that the server works. It was neccessary to create the file “biserver-ce/tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost/pentaho.xml”. I’m using a local tomcat installation.

Another problem I had was with the Administration Console. Without any configuration the Administration Console give errors regarding the connection to BI server and it didn’t show any previous user or data source I had in the system

I solve it editing the file “administresource/config/console.xmlration-console/” where I put the path to war file in my case “usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0.26/webapps/pentaho” and the path to pentaho solution.

Best regards,
    Andrei

71. Posted by abhishek on Mar 23, 2012

good work prashant !!
    @Chris Tranter
    for deploying pentaho bi server on jboss
    this link